Even the most experienced sales people go through a transition when they start selling for themselves.
It can be so much easier to sell for someone else than it is for yourself. And it’s much easier to feel awkward and uncomfortable when it’s about you.
Rejection in sales is a very real (and common) thing. And rejection when it’s about something that is close to your heart or something you’ve created feels extremely personal.
Combine that with, your own limiting beliefs and self-doubt and there is a whole bunch of self-sabotage that could be holding you back.
If you are aware of or resonate with any of this, it will hugely benefit your sales success to clear the baggage and get yourself some kick-ass beliefs to support you in promoting and selling your wares.
So how do you confidently shift from selling someone else’s product, to your own?
1. Separate ‘you’ from your product or service. This might sound easier said than done but with practice, it will become easier. It’s a mindset shift.
2. Get feedback from raving fans on your product and use their words when you are talking about and selling your product or service. This is a good way to separate your personal bias (or self-judgments of worthiness) from your sales pitch.
3. See yourself as an employee when it comes to sales. As a business owner you are wearing lots of different hats, and sales is just one of them.
If you’re experienced in sales this shift of perspective might be enough. If you’re not experienced in sales, ask yourself…
- How would you invest in and support your staff member?
- Would you organise some training for them?
- Would you find some reading materials to give to them?
- What words of encouragement would you provide them?
And then MAKE SURE you do ALL of these things for YOU!
You are your best sales person after all so invest in your learning and development.
You can’t expect to turn into a sales gun over night however using these techniques will definitely assist in turning your fear or hesitation about selling ‘yourself’ into excitement about sharing what you have on offer to the world!
If you would like to look at how your beliefs are affecting your sales BOOK NOW for a free Mindset Shift session with Nicky.
Nicky Miklos-Woodley is an Evergreen Sales & Business Coach, Trainer and Speaker.
There is a common stigma attached to ‘sales’ and yet, sales are so critical to the success of all businesses. The hard truth is without sales, your business is a hobby.